Open Water Scuba Instructor
Are you looking for an extraordinary career or lifestyle? Do you want to get out of the usual 9 to 5? If so, a career in scuba diving is for you.
The PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor Course (IDC)
Deciding on the right PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Centre (5 Star IDC) with a full time PADI Course Director for your Instructor Development training is one of the most important decisions you will make in your diving career.
Lady of the Sea Diving Academy is Canberra's leading (and only) PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Centre. If you want the best training then you need to train with a PADI 5 Star Dive Centre that specialises in Instructor Development training.
- Full time Course Director (certified as a Course Director in 2000 - 20 years of instructor level training).
- Canberra's Only PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Center
- Staff available for extra tuition if required
- Full-time and weekend course options
- Free Diver Propulsion Vehicle (DPV) Specialty Instructor Course
What is covered in the training?
You will attend and participate in 14 curriculum presentations
- Course Orientation
- Dive Industry Overview
- General Standards and Procedures
- The Role of Media and Prescriptive Teaching
- Legal Responsibility and Risk Management
- PADI Scuba Diver and Open Water Diver Coruse
- Adaptive Teaching
- The PADI Continuing Education Philosophy
- Business Principles for the Dive Instructor
- Adventures in Diving Program
- Specialty Diver Courses and Master Scuba Diver Program
- Rescue Diver Course
- Divemaster Course
- Diver Retention Programs
- How to teach the RDP (Instructors from recreational diver training organisations other than PADI need to complete this).
You will learn how to apply the PADI system of education by presenting at least:
- Two confined water teaching presentations
- Two knowledge development presentations
- One open water teaching presentation integrating two skills
You will demonstrate competence at:
- Performing all 20 dive skills listed on the Skill Evaluation
- performing a face-down, nonstop swim for 400 meters
- Treading water for 10 minutes.
You will need to have all the basic scuba gear as well as safety devices. If you don't have all the gear we can assist with discounted course packages.
To qualify for training as a PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor you must:
- Be at least 18 years old
- Be certified as a diver for at least twelve months
- Have logged 100 dives
- Have proof of CPR and First Aid training within the last 24 months.
- Be fit for diving and submit a Medical Statement signed by a physician within the last 12 months
- Be certified as a PADI Divemaster or Assistant Instructor or be an instructor in good standing with another training organisation for at least six months.
- FREE Scuba tank hire and air fills during your training
- FREE additional workshops on rescue techniques and diving skills.
- Full-time Course Director & Master Instructor, available to help you during your training.
- A comprehensive choice of instructor-level continuing education programs.
- Additional study and support materials, for use free of charge, designed to aid your professional development.
Not included in the course package costs are the application fees to be paid to PADI (IDC + IE + EFR Instructor application fees - approx $1395). For the MSDT package; each specialty instructor application is approx $120 and the MSDT application is approx $160.
Master Scuba Diver Trainer Package
A Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT), is a highly experienced Open Water Scuba Instructor, who is more employable and capable of teaching a larger variety of PADI specialty diver courses. By becoming a Master Scuba Diver Trainer you'll add additional teaching certifications and experience as well as adding variety to your instructional abilities, making teaching more fun and exciting for both you and your students!
The Master Scuba Diver Trainer Package, teaches you how to deliver a range of PADI speciality diver courses. Your MSDT Course takes place over the 5 days between when the IDC is completed and the IE takes place giving you 5 additional Specialty Instructor ratings allowing you to teach a range of different courses.
Before applying to PADI for certification as an MSDT, you'll need 5 Specialty Instructor ratings (achieved during the MSDT Package) and 25 student certifications.
If you select the MSDT Package, by the end of your program you'll be trained how to teach the:
- PADI Deep Diver Specialty Instructor Course
- PADI Enriched Air Diver Specialty Instructor Course
- PADI Diver Propulsion Vehicle Instructor Course
- PADI Search & Recovery Specialty Instructor Course
- PADI Wreck Specialty Instructor Course
You will be able to apply for the PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer (MSDT) rating once you have been certified to teach 5 specialties and have issued 25 certifications.